The South Carolina Hemophilia Assistance Program (HAP) is a state-funded program provided by the Department of Health and Environmental Control (DHEC) in partnership with Patient Services, Inc. (PSI). The HAP program was established to assist state residents with Hemophilia and von Willebrand Disease. The program offers insurance case management and financial assistance for private health insurance costs as well as co-payment assistance. The program was established to assist eligible patients with obtaining health insurance by funding premiums and co-pays. This insurance will cover blood disorders healthcare needs as well as comprehensive and preventive services. PSI has been assisting patients with chronic conditions to obtain health insurance coverage since 1989.
Who is eligible for service?
Patients who meet the following criteria may be eligible for assistance:
- Diagnosis of Hemophilia or von Willebrand Disease
- Eligible / Enrolled with DHEC
- Must be a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent South Carolina resident
- Prospective patients must have an income of at or below 250% of the federal poverty level, ineligible for Medicaid or Medicare services, non-insured, and not eligible for insurance under any other plan. Patients meeting this criteria who lose insurance should contact DHEC immediately.
Types of Assistance
- Health Insurance Coverage Sourcing
- Health Insurance Premium Assistance
- Co-payment Assistance
How do you apply?
Call the CYSHCN program main office at (803) 898-0784 or contact your nearest regional CYSHCN office below. Once your application is received from DHEC and evaluated for eligibility for this program, you will be referred to PSI who will contact you by phone and mail to discuss your circumstances and assist you with locating a resource for health insurance. PSI will work with you to determine if a private insurance policy offered in South Carolina meets your needs. Once enrolled / approved, PSI can financially assist you with your insurance premium and co-pays.
DHEC Office Upstate:
- Greenville County Health Department
200 University Ridge
Greenville, SC 29601
DHEC Office Midlands:
- Richland County Health Department
2000 Hampton St.
Columbia, SC. 29204
DHEC Office Pee Dee:
- Florence County Health Department
145 Cheves St
Florence, SC. 29506
- Horry County Health Department
1931 Industrial Park
Conway, SC. 29526
DHEC Office Lowcounty:
- Charleston CSHCN Office
3963 Whipper Barony Lane
North Charleston, SC 29505
- Orangeburg County Health Department
1550 Carolina Ave.
Orangeburg, SC 29115
Contact DHEC Main Office
- Call the CYSHCN Program main office at (803) 898-0784.
- Call the nearest regional CYSHCN office
For additional information, please visit the South Carolina Department of Health and Environment Control website
If you have questions about getting services for your child with special needs, please contact us.